English News

+ Family-of-four rescued from sea at Carlyon Bay

A mother and her three children are recovering in hospital from hypothermia after getting into trouble while trying to rescue their pet dogs from the sea.

Coastguards said two brothers, aged nine and 14, had gone into the sea at Carlyon Bay, St Austell.

The boys were overcome by the sea conditions and their 16-year-old sister and mother then went into the water.

Fiona Iris, Brixham Coastguard watch manager, warned people not to follow their dogs in to the sea.

She added: "The south westerly wind does have an effect on the sea and this can cause large breaking waves.

"The combined effects of the cold wind and the cold water can cause hypothermia very quickly.

"We would recommend that you keep your pet dogs on a lead near the water or cliff edges."

نویسنده : مجتبی فروتن تنها ; ساعت ۱۱:٠۳ ‎ب.ظ ; دوشنبه ٤ دی ،۱۳٩۱
تگ ها:

+ Elves' held over two assaults in Wolverhampton

Two men wearing Christmas elf costumes have been arrested over a fight in Wolverhampton city centre.

Officers were called after a fight broke out outside the Civic Hall shortly before 01:00 GMT on 21 December, police said. A man with cuts and bruises had been assaulted.

A short time later a man suffered a cut lip in an attack at the Babylon Bar in North Street.

Police said it was believed the two men were victims of the same assailants.

Two men, aged 20 and 27, who were dressed as elves, were arrested in Princes Street. They have been released on bail as inquiries continue.

PC Tim Gee, from Wolverhampton police station, said: "We are keen to hear from anyone who may have witnessed either of these attacks.

"In particular we would like to speak to a man who came to the aid of the man attacked in the Babylon Bar.

"The good Samaritan was wearing a white T-shirt and walked the victim to Queen Square to get medical attention."

نویسنده : مجتبی فروتن تنها ; ساعت ۱۱:٠۳ ‎ب.ظ ; دوشنبه ٤ دی ،۱۳٩۱
تگ ها:

+ Transport for London warns of Boxing Day Tube strike disruption

Tube services could face severe disruption but there will be more buses on Boxing Day as hundreds of drivers go on strike, Transport for London said.

Members of Aslef union will walk out for 24 hours in a row over bank holiday pay, a dispute over a 1992 agreement.

TfL said there would be extra buses for shoppers heading for the West End or Westfield shopping centres.

It will be the third successive walkout by Tube drivers on the first day of the post-Christmas sale.

Aslef said its members had voted by 9-1 in favour of strikes in a long-running row over extra pay for working on bank holidays.

Strike 'scandalous'

TfL said almost all the lines were expected to have a reduced and partial service and urged passengers to check before travelling. There will be no services on London Overground.

But 700 bus routes in the capital will operate a Sunday service, and extra buses will be on the routes bound for the West End or Westfield shopping centres in Stratford and White City.

The congestion charge for vehicles entering central London will not apply during the festive period and there will also be no parking charges on roads in Westminster.

Howard Collins, London Underground's chief operating officer, criticised the union for demanding to be paid "twice for the same work".

"The scandalous actions of the ASLEF leadership are an attempt to hold Londoners to ransom, and demonstrate a wholesale disregard for our customers," he said.

"We will be running as many services as possible, supported by London's 700 bus routes, but there will be disruption."

نویسنده : مجتبی فروتن تنها ; ساعت ۱۱:٠۳ ‎ب.ظ ; دوشنبه ٤ دی ،۱۳٩۱
تگ ها:

+ Streatham bus stop crash: Nathan Davis sought over car

Bus stop crash victim's family speak of their loss

Related Stories

A man with links to a car that was involved in a fatal bus stop crash in south London is being sought by police.

Veronica Vanessa Chango-Alverez, 31, was killed and another man injured when an Audi A3 struck them in Streatham High Road at 05:30 GMT on Saturday.

Ten minutes before the crash the car was in London Road, Croydon, when a Volkswagen Passat collided with a tree.

Police want to trace Nathan Davis, 27, who they say has links to the Audi. The car was abandoned at the scene.

Ms Chango-Alverez died from multiple injuries, a post-mortem examination found.

No arrests have been made as yet, police said.

Ms Chango-Alverez was staying at her mother's home in Streatham High Road.

She was born in Ecuador and had lived in London for 13 years, BBC London reporter Gareth Furby said. At the time of the crash, she was on her way to work in a hotel.

'Heart torn out'

The remains of the bus stop, which was extensively damaged in the crash, have been removed.

Nathan Davis Nathan Davis has been linked to the Audi which was involved in the crash

Flowers have been left at the site in tribute to the victim.

A statement from her brother Kevin Raul Chango-Alvarez said: "My family has had its heart torn out, at this Christmas time, we will never be the same again.

"On Friday night we were together as a family with Veronica meeting her newly born nephew and preparing for Christmas.

"I last saw her alive as she left to go to work on Saturday morning, but moments later I was holding her hand as she passed away in the street."

Describing the crash as "horrific" Det Insp Gordon Wallace, said: "The family are devastated. The memory of this senseless death will be with them each time they leave their home.

"The driver fled the scene abandoning the grey Audi, which was extensively damaged.

"We are looking to speak to Mr Nathan Davis in relation to this collision."

The 51-year-old man injured at the bus stop remains in a critical condition in hospital while the condition of the 29-year-old driver of the Volkswagen is now stable.

نویسنده : مجتبی فروتن تنها ; ساعت ۱۱:٠۳ ‎ب.ظ ; دوشنبه ٤ دی ،۱۳٩۱
تگ ها:

+ Flood fears heightened by new downpours

Exeter rail passenger: "I'm just trying to get home for Christmas"

Related Stories

Rain has returned to south-west England, bringing flooding and high river levels to areas already saturated by heavy downpours.

Christmas Eve was wet in parts of England, Wales and Scotland, with Wales and the South East of England set for a very wet Christmas Day.

The rail network in the South West of England suffered major disruption.

Operator First Great Western advised customers not to attempt to travel west of Taunton in either direction.

The Environment Agency has issued about 160 flood warnings and more than 260 flood alerts for all regions in England and in Wales, with most in place across the Midlands and south-west England.

Up to 30mm of rain was expected on Monday in south-west England, where some 57 of the flood warnings remained in place into the evening.

In Scotland, 19 flood warnings are in place affecting Aberdeenshire, Caithness and Sutherland, Dundee and Angus, Tayside and the Borders.

Advanced weather warnings have already been issued for 26 and 27 December, advising that heavy showers on saturated ground across the UK could lead to localised flooding.

Christmas Eve on the rail network saw services from London Paddington towards Exeter and the West of England terminating at Tiverton, with limited road transport continuing to Newton Abbot via Exeter St Davids.

First Great Western said trains were unable to operate between Tiverton Parkway Station and Exeter St Davids, and between Exeter St Davids and Newton Abbot.

Travel and weather information

From the BBC:

Elsewhere:

Services from Penzance and Plymouth, towards Bristol Temple Meads and London Paddington, are terminating at Newton Abbot, again with limited road transport on to Tiverton via Exeter.

It says the road replacement service is limited "as this is being hampered by flooded roads and only a reduced number of vehicles being available".

The closed section of line is not expected to reopen until Friday.

There are delays to journeys between London and south Wales, with a diversion to avoid flooding at Swindon adding about 45 minutes to travel times.

Flooding Minister Richard Benyon told BBC Radio 4's The World At One: "I'm really impressed with the way the emergency services, the Environment Agency, the local authorities are working together, and humbled by the incredible community spirit in places like Braunton (in Devon).

"There are going to be houses flooded in the future, we have just got to be better at warning people, we have got to be smarter at how we build defences (and) what defences we build.

"Government is doing a lot better, we have always got to learn from every single flood and realise it's the most miserable experience for people to have their homes flooded, and it's very damaging to the economy as well," he added.

'Coming home to no home'

Athol Innes, a Stonehaven resident working for an oil company in China, contacted the BBC News website:

"My house is totally flooded, sewage and oil. Gutted. It's still to hit me really.

"I am only getting information through the local Stonehaven Facebook page and the BBC Scottish news as I am working in China for a oil company and can't get flights till Thursday."

He is "worried as I have no accommodation to go home to. My house is in a terrible condition with the water and mud. The whole house, including the garden, is just ruined.

"It's still to hit me really. I have a friend that looks after my house when I am away on business, he only got access after 1pm yesterday and told me the sad news that my home is ruined.

"(He) keeps an eye out for any flood warnings and places sandbags against the doors when required; these failed.

"I am having to stay at the local hotel in Stonehaven when I arrive back in the UK at 1030pm on Thursday.

"Just can't believe this has happened. It's now the case of dealing with the insurance companies now and having all that added stress...

"It's coming home to no home that's hard-hitting."

Professor David Balmforth, a flooding specialist at the Institution of Civil Engineers, told the programme: "We know in the future global warming will make the sorts of flood events we have seen here become much more frequent and much more severe so some of the older (flood) defences which might have been fit for purpose at the time may not be quite so effective in the present day."

Environment Agency director of operations David Jordan said: "Flooding is devastating at any time of year, but it is particularly hard at Christmas time, and our thoughts are with those who will be out of their homes over the festive period.

"Although the rain is set to ease a little in the coming days, the ground is still very wet and river levels remain high, so we would ask people to keep up to date with the latest warnings and stay prepared for flooding."

He also reminded people not to walk or drive through floodwater.

A number of other key routes - including the A1(M) in Hertfordshire, the M6 in Cumbria and Staffordshire and the M5 near Bristol - were also struck by weather-related delays.

Reduced train services were operating on the West Coast line, and flooding had also disrupted CrossCountry, East Midlands Trains, First Great Western (FGW) and First TransPennine Express services.

نویسنده : مجتبی فروتن تنها ; ساعت ۱۱:٠۳ ‎ب.ظ ; دوشنبه ٤ دی ،۱۳٩۱
تگ ها:

+ Airton bungalow roof torn off in gas blast

A bungalow may have to be demolished after the roof was blown off in a gas explosion.

The property on Malham Road, Airton, near Settle in North Yorkshire was "severely damaged" in the incident on Saturday, fire crews said.

No-one was hurt but neighbours said the residents at the property had not long left before the explosion happened.

They are allowed retrieve some items but the home is too unstable for a detailed investigation.

Police have said the blast was not being treated as a suspicious incident.

Residents in nearby homes were evacuated but later allowed return.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said a structural engineer inspected the property on Monday morning.

A decision on the future of the property has not yet been made.

نویسنده : مجتبی فروتن تنها ; ساعت ۱۱:٠۳ ‎ب.ظ ; دوشنبه ٤ دی ،۱۳٩۱
تگ ها:

+ UK activists to call for Justice in Egypt

UK activists to call for Justice in Egypt
Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:38PM GMT

British activists are to descend to London streets on 26 November to march in solidarity with Egyptian protesters in Tahrir square.



UK's Justice in Egypt campaign called on the people to join the activists on Edgware Rd. tube station at 11:00GMT and march to the Egyptian embassy.

While backing No to Military Trials campaign, the protesters will ask for a timeline for transferring power to civilian government.

As Egypt is approaching to its 28 November parliamentary election, thousands of people staged their anti-military junta demonstrations across the country.

Some 24 protesters have been killed since violent clashes began between security forces and protesters, and 1,830 have been injured, Egypt's Health Ministry reported.

Meanwhile the country's military council announced that the protesters will face tougher reaction if they continue their demonstrations.

Activists and political groups are becoming increasingly vocal in their criticism of the failure of the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) to live up to its promise to hand over power to a civilian ruling structure within six months of the February revolution.

Protesters have also censured the chairman of the council, Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, for his reluctance to implement sweeping change and dismantle elements of the former regime.

SAB/HE

نویسنده : مجتبی فروتن تنها ; ساعت ۳:٤٢ ‎ق.ظ ; چهارشنبه ٢ آذر ،۱۳٩٠
تگ ها: uk و egypt

+ UK tries to save face on Iran

UK tries to save face on Iran
Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:55PM GMT

The UK government has severed London's financial dealings with Iran out of fears that the Islamic Republic may be considering to cut all its bilateral relations with the country soon.



Earlier this month, Iran's parliament (Majlis) assigned the Foreign Policy and National Security Commission to review a motion to cut all the country's relations with Britain.

The motion was flouted in response to the UK's hostile approach, which was exacerbated after the release of the latest report by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) on Tehran's nuclear activities.

In the report, IAEA chief Yukio Amano accused Iran of seeking to develop a clandestine nuclear weapons program after receiving intelligence from sources hostile to the Islamic Republic, mainly from Israeli regime, whose hostility towards the Iranian nation and government is crystal clear to the international community.

Irrespective of the facts on the ground, British authorities were the first to threaten Iran with military action after the politically-engineered IAEA report against Iran was released.

Soon after the release of report, newspaper said in a report that British military authorities were considering contingency plans for launching an invasion on Iran.

The authorities said Britain would endorse any U.S. action plan aimed at launching an invasion on Iran amid decisions made in Washington to fast-forward missile strikes at the Islamic Republic's nuclear facilities, the report said.

Iran has been considering breaking off relations with the UK several times before due to London's interference in the country's internal affairs and its undiplomatic approach towards Tehran.

The motion to cuts UK ties was first brought up in 2009, following Britain's conspiracies and direct involvement in Iran's post-elections unrests.

It was again in 2011 that Iranian lawmakers decided to review the motion to severe UK ties, in response to the country's anti-Iran measures at the international arena.

Iranian foreign ministry spokesman, Ramin Mehmanparast told a press conference in Tehran that the Islamic Republic have currently the lowest level of trade exchanges with the UK and US, adding that fresh unilateral sanctions will have “no impact on Iran's trade and economic ties with other countries”.

Britain ranked 10th among Iran's trade partners in the European Union with Tehran-London's bilateral trade topping nearly £230 million in 2010.

The country has, for the first time, severed an entire country's banking system off from London's financial sector.

Iranian parliament speaker Ali Larijani reacted to the latest UK's anti-Iran move by announcing that Tehran would hit back.

"This will not go unanswered and we will review our ties with them ... there will be a tit-for-tat reaction," he said.
Russia has also condemned the unilateral sanctions as "extraterritorial measures unacceptable and contradictory to international law".

MOL/HE

نویسنده : مجتبی فروتن تنها ; ساعت ۳:٤٠ ‎ق.ظ ; چهارشنبه ٢ آذر ،۱۳٩٠
تگ ها: uk و iran

← صفحه بعد صفحه قبل →